Skip to main content

Never a Dull Moment

I have been dating Kory since June and I have to say there's never been a dull moment. Take last night for instance. We were going to go out on a date, but he remembered he had his kids that night, so I suggested we go to the straw maze. So, we took his two youngest kids and my niece to Arctic Circle for dinner, then headed to the straw maze. One thing a father of eight is good at is eating all the leftovers of his kids at restaurants. And he's not at all phased by germs.




As we were heading into the maze, Caleb decided he didn't want to go--he thought it looked too creepy. So, Kory coaxed him in. Caleb said, "I think it might help if I thought about one of your songs"--since Kory writes songs. We followed the kids through the maze, stealing a few kisses when they rounded the turns ahead of us. About twenty minutes in, Chloe said, "I hate this. My legs hurt. When are we going to be done." Even Kory seemed to be getting a little worried that we'd never find the end, but, ta-da! We did it.



After that we went to Nielsen's for custard and I had hot chocolate. All of the kids wanted to try my hot chocolate, so they all took turns sipping and then Kory handed it back to me, and I said, "Ummmm, I think I'm done." I haven't built up his tolerance for germs.









While there, he called his son, Austin, who's at BYUI. He was playing the piano in the Snow Building, so we all hopped in the car and headed to the Snow Building.

Austin was in the recital hall, so we went and listened to a song he wrote. The kids had fun counting all the chairs in the recital hall and playing tag. Kory played a song too. After that, Kory started to look sleepy, so we headed home.



 
 
I really like watching Kory in dad mode. We came back from home teaching on Sunday and his four kids were back, so, he immediately went outside and played football with the boys. He's great at giving his kids attention. In fact, whatever he does gets his full attention. He's great at the zen concept, "Be here now."  One night he texted me to say, "I know it's hard to be with such a distracted man." But actually, it makes me love him even more, and he's not distracted. He was just saying, "Sorry I can't give you my undivided attention 24/7."
 
 
Wednesday we went to the Rexburg Temple and when we got out, he called his two college student kids and we took them to Taco Bell.
 


 
And did I mention what a good sport he is? He sat patiently through me reading Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs, even when it insulted some of his favorite singers. (Sorry Barry Manilow.) My brother David and his wife are seven years apart and Kelley says she only notices it when they talk about music. Kory and I are about seven years apart, so we have slightly different tastes in music, although one night he said the song "Every Woman in the World" by Air Supply reminded him of me, and I admit I did listen to it the very next day. ;)
 
Kory does not like to read, which is one huge difference between us. For his birthday, I gave him Victor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning. When I found out he read it, I was so proud of him. I said, "That ought to do you for six months." But Kory filled in that sentence with "ten years." Hmmmm.
 
 
He also sat patiently through the BBC adaptation of Emma. I love watching him try to figure it out. "So.....it seems like that minister likes one of those girls." I said, "Good. Now which one do you think it is?" He says, "I think it's Emma." Let's just say, he was much more enthusiastic when we watched an episode of Justified or the movie Skyfall. He's also picked up on the fact that all the shows I like have a handsome guy in them. He's not threatened though. He'll say, "I see why you like him. He's cool."
 
Let's just say, I love this awesome guy and I have a blast with him! Thank you for letting me gush. As my friend Paula says, "Are we done with the Korypallooza yet, or should I put my earphones back on?" Thanks all my friends and family for tolerating me!
 
 
 


Comments

  1. Gush all you want! You've waited a long time for this and I LOVE to hear every little detail!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Face

Chloe had her tenth birthday and she asked for the game Pie Face. Yep, you've seen it. The one where everyone takes turns getting whipped cream in the face. Here are some precious moments. Chloe also got a little fort-making kit for her birthday, so we've had these structures in the family room for a few weeks now.

April 2023

  April 2023 On April 1 and 2 we chilled and watched General Conference. On the first, we got a new cat to replace Todd. This cat’s name is Taco, she is a girl, and she’s a tortoiseshell calico. She and Binx have taken quite a while to warm up to each other, but I think we’ll get there. She is cuddly like Todd, so we all like that.  On April 4 I watched Season 3 of The Mandalorian with my dad. On the 5 th , Kory and I took Austin and Leah to the Bee’s Knees for a birthday dinner. They have really great food there and it was fun to visit.  On April 6, we had BYUI Graduation. It was fun to be there, since I’ve missed the past year due to my cancer. On the 7 th , Kory, me, and Caleb babysat for Austin and Leah. It was fun putting the kids to bed and singing with them. Stevie loves the song “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” so we sang that a bunch. On April 8, Kory and I went on a little date. We drove up to Driggs and had dinner at O’ Rourkes and then stopped and visited with my parents on t

Kory's Story

I just wanted to record this for our family history. When Kory and I were engaged, we went to Salt Lake to talk with someone at CES to see about re-applying to teach seminary. At the time, they indicated that he could re-apply, but they didn't seem positive about the likelihood of him getting re-hired. At that time, we decided not to pursue teaching again. Later that year, CES announced that there was no longer any block on people who had been divorced teaching seminary. Again, we talked with some people, but still felt that the chances of him getting hired were not good, because he would not be able to move if necessary, which is usually the case with new hires.  In Fall of 2015, Kory had a strong impression to check with the pre-service director and see what he would need to do to try teaching again. We still knew that the chances were not great, but he felt that he should pursue it. He began attending the class for pre-service seminary teachers, and was assigned to student te