Skip to main content

Comedy Night

Well, to follow up on the last post, I did find some gumption and finished my paper and exam. I have now heaved a sigh of relief and can begin on my hundreds of papers to grade.

As a break from the madness, I to went to Kory's work Christmas party on Tuesday night. Melaleuca hires out the Civic Auditorium for a couple of nights and brings in some sort of entertainment. This year it was a comedian named Fred Keck--I think, or something like that. He was from Minnesota and very funny. A few weeks ago Kory called and said they like to have someone playing piano music while everyone is being seated and asked if I would be willing to play. I said, "Sure, as long as no one listens to me."

So, I get there, thinking I'll be on an upright in the corner somewhere, and I behold this stage gorgeously decorated with lights and Christmas trees and this grand piano right in the spotlight, like I'm Jim Brickman or something. I immediately became a little more nervous. Luckily, everyone continued talking while I played, so everyone was happy. I asked Kory to take a picture of me because I thought the decorations were so pretty. I ended up with like ten pictures, close-ups, etc. I guess that's what happens when you ask your fiancee to take your picture. :)



Anyway, last night I went out with Kory again to celebrate being done with my LAST PhD CLASS EVER!!! (provided I pass). So, we took Maddie to Red Robin and I had a gingerbread shake. I don't even like gingerbread, but those shakes are something else.

After that, we took Caleb to pack night. I thought the comedian was funny on Tuesday, but pack night beat it, hands down. I know I went to these when I was little. I particularly remember one about brushing your teeth, where they gave us these pink pills that would stick to all the plaque on our teeth, so we all walked around with like Pepto Bismol mouth for the whole night. Fun times, fun times.

So, we got there and everyone was in their cars, because the church wasn't unlocked. Someone happened to show up with a key, although I don't think they had anything to do with pack night, so I'm not sure what would have happened if she hadn't arrived.

We got in and set up chairs and Caleb demonstrated his mad jumping skills by running and jumping off of walls and chairs--kind of like Matt Damon in that third Bourne Identity movie. They finally got us settled down doing a word search for different countries. Then it was time to start. Caleb gave an opening prayer, then they did the flag ceremony. But they didn't have a flag, so we pledged allegiance to one of the leader's arm, because she had a little flag patch on it. We had a little lesson on respect, then the Bears told a Christmas story in which people had to do a specific action when their word was read--Kory's was doll, so he had to put his hands against his cheek in a very adorable pose. I wish I had taken a picture.

After that, we did a game where they had a little drawing and we had to guess which Christmas Carol it was--like a knight with holes in himself for O Holy Night. Then we had a closing flag ceremony, but we got kind of stalled because the scout reading the directions was supposed to start by saying "Color guard assemble." But all of his helpers were already there and he did not see the logic in saying that. So, after a few minutes of discussion, all of the scouts scattered, so that when he said "Color guard assemble," they could march across the room to help him. Everything went smoothly from there, even though there was no flag and we weren't really going to take the one off the lady's arm.

After a closing prayer in which the scout said," Please bless that the food will be somewhat healthy," we had treats and left. As I was laughing hysterically the whole time, Kory just kept shrugging and saying, "This is scouts." I thought it was adorable how everyone was just such good sports. All these cute young moms in their Scout shirts and everyone just cheerfully doing all these crazy activities.

I know this is just the norm for young moms, but I haven't seen this kind of stuff for years and I just love it.
After that we took Caleb to his mom's and then went to help Kory's home teacher make a Christmas video for his family. By then it was time to go home. There may or may not have been some kissing in the driveway for awhile. But of course Kory got a text from Austin saying "Where are you," and he texted back "In the driveway," so we were busted. Good thing we have those kids looking out for us. In fact, Caleb was frantically looking for his neckerchief and Kory was supposed to help him find it, but got a little sidetracked kissing me for awhile and then we turned around and there is Caleb looking at us and saying, "Dad, you're supposed to help me find my neckerchief." Kory had a talk with him to make sure he wasn't traumatized, but as we were wrapping things up for the night he said, "Well, now that we've scarred our son for life."  Never a dull moment, I tell you. I sort of feel like I'm living in a sitcom.

So, today I get to grade and do graduation.

Comments

  1. Welcome to life as a mother (or stepmom) of eight. The first year you can call me for tips... After that, I'm calling you. :). 100% agree- being a mom is way funnier than any comedy act.

    Ps- we learned from our friends that a great way to get teenagers to go to bed is to say, "You can stay up if you want, but Dad and I are going to start making out in about 5 minutes."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Face

Chloe had her tenth birthday and she asked for the game Pie Face. Yep, you've seen it. The one where everyone takes turns getting whipped cream in the face. Here are some precious moments. Chloe also got a little fort-making kit for her birthday, so we've had these structures in the family room for a few weeks now.

April 2023

  April 2023 On April 1 and 2 we chilled and watched General Conference. On the first, we got a new cat to replace Todd. This cat’s name is Taco, she is a girl, and she’s a tortoiseshell calico. She and Binx have taken quite a while to warm up to each other, but I think we’ll get there. She is cuddly like Todd, so we all like that.  On April 4 I watched Season 3 of The Mandalorian with my dad. On the 5 th , Kory and I took Austin and Leah to the Bee’s Knees for a birthday dinner. They have really great food there and it was fun to visit.  On April 6, we had BYUI Graduation. It was fun to be there, since I’ve missed the past year due to my cancer. On the 7 th , Kory, me, and Caleb babysat for Austin and Leah. It was fun putting the kids to bed and singing with them. Stevie loves the song “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” so we sang that a bunch. On April 8, Kory and I went on a little date. We drove up to Driggs and had dinner at O’ Rourkes and then stopped and visited with my parents on t

Kory's Story

I just wanted to record this for our family history. When Kory and I were engaged, we went to Salt Lake to talk with someone at CES to see about re-applying to teach seminary. At the time, they indicated that he could re-apply, but they didn't seem positive about the likelihood of him getting re-hired. At that time, we decided not to pursue teaching again. Later that year, CES announced that there was no longer any block on people who had been divorced teaching seminary. Again, we talked with some people, but still felt that the chances of him getting hired were not good, because he would not be able to move if necessary, which is usually the case with new hires.  In Fall of 2015, Kory had a strong impression to check with the pre-service director and see what he would need to do to try teaching again. We still knew that the chances were not great, but he felt that he should pursue it. He began attending the class for pre-service seminary teachers, and was assigned to student te