Skip to main content

Thanksgiving

This was a memorable Thanksgiving--my first one away from my family since my mission. Kory and I loaded the kids up in a rented minivan and headed to St. George. Once we were there, we all split up to different houses--Kory has two sisters and parents there. The kids swam in the pool at their grandparents for awhile and then we went to his two sister's homes.

The next morning Kory and I went for a walk and then took a drive to Hurricane to look for a retirement home. We found an awesome golf course. Unfortunately, we later found out that Hurricane is named after the winds that always blow there. I hate wind, so we'll have to find something else. As long as it's by a golf course, Kory is happy. :)





We had dinner at Nicole's house. It was fun to hang out with Kory's family. I've met all of them before, but it was fun to visit more. We took a little trip to Swig--Nicole and Todd's business which is wildly popular in Utah. It's a drive through drink place, so people can get their pop fix. They sell smoothies and stuff too.


The next day I went golfing with Kory, his dad, Mike, Lori's husband, and Brad, Kory's nephew. I drove the cart and read a book on my Kindle.

 
That afternoon we took the kids to the movies. I took Caleb and Chloe to Frozen, which was really cute. Kory took the other kids to the Saratov Approach. After that, the kids swam again. We went to Lori's that night and ate, played games, watched sports, and visited.
 
On Saturday, we all met at the St. George temple and the older kids did baptisms for the dead. Kory helped confirm. The ladies watched. I tried to do some initiatory, but they were very backed up. I guess a lot of families wanted to go to the temple over the holiday. It was neat to see all the kids lined up in there, dressed in white. St. George has a beautiful temple. Kory's dad took everyone to Chuck-A-Rama after--Kory calls it Chuck-a-Grandma. I call it UpChuck-A-Rama.
 
 
After that, we took the kids to a rec center with a great indoor pool. We had fun on the water slide and the lazy river and the big play center. Until the lifeguards had everyone get out of the pool because someone puked. We lost our appetite for swimming after that and headed home and swam some more at his parent's pool.
 

 
 
That night we went to Brick Oven and Swig again, then visited with his sisters a bit more. Sunday we went to sacrament meeting with Lori and Mike and then headed home. It was a busy, fun holiday. St. George is great. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Face

Chloe had her tenth birthday and she asked for the game Pie Face. Yep, you've seen it. The one where everyone takes turns getting whipped cream in the face. Here are some precious moments. Chloe also got a little fort-making kit for her birthday, so we've had these structures in the family room for a few weeks now.

April 2023

  April 2023 On April 1 and 2 we chilled and watched General Conference. On the first, we got a new cat to replace Todd. This cat’s name is Taco, she is a girl, and she’s a tortoiseshell calico. She and Binx have taken quite a while to warm up to each other, but I think we’ll get there. She is cuddly like Todd, so we all like that.  On April 4 I watched Season 3 of The Mandalorian with my dad. On the 5 th , Kory and I took Austin and Leah to the Bee’s Knees for a birthday dinner. They have really great food there and it was fun to visit.  On April 6, we had BYUI Graduation. It was fun to be there, since I’ve missed the past year due to my cancer. On the 7 th , Kory, me, and Caleb babysat for Austin and Leah. It was fun putting the kids to bed and singing with them. Stevie loves the song “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” so we sang that a bunch. On April 8, Kory and I went on a little date. We drove up to Driggs and had dinner at O’ Rourkes and then stopped and visited with my parents on t

Kory's Story

I just wanted to record this for our family history. When Kory and I were engaged, we went to Salt Lake to talk with someone at CES to see about re-applying to teach seminary. At the time, they indicated that he could re-apply, but they didn't seem positive about the likelihood of him getting re-hired. At that time, we decided not to pursue teaching again. Later that year, CES announced that there was no longer any block on people who had been divorced teaching seminary. Again, we talked with some people, but still felt that the chances of him getting hired were not good, because he would not be able to move if necessary, which is usually the case with new hires.  In Fall of 2015, Kory had a strong impression to check with the pre-service director and see what he would need to do to try teaching again. We still knew that the chances were not great, but he felt that he should pursue it. He began attending the class for pre-service seminary teachers, and was assigned to student te