Skip to main content

June 2020


June 2020
Chloe found a new hangout at Gem Lake and went a couple of time with her friends and cousins. They had fun swimming, tubing, kayaking, and jet skiing.

I got ambitious and painted a wall in our upper hallway, so that I could install a big bookshelf that I purchased online. I’m planning to eventually have the whole entryway painted, but the painter is booked for awhile and I didn’t want to wait to get the bookshelf all unpacked and placed. I enjoyed the painting more than I thought I would. I’m infamous in the Gee family for being a horrible painter because I don’t take my time on things, but apparently, I’ve developed a smidgeon of patience in my nearly 50 years.




On June 3, Kory and I waited in line to get some fish and chips from this legendary food truck that comes through town every once in a while. We didn’t have anything else really pressing to take care of, so we made friends with some people in line and watched some Netflix while we waited. The fish and chips were good, although neither of us was hungry enough to eat our entire order.
On June 5, Kory and I headed up to Victor in the afternoon. We biked the bike trail from Driggs to Victor and back. We had quite a headwind in our face on the way to Victor, so it wasn’t terribly enjoyable, but we FLEW on the way back with the wind at our back. After that, we went to LaRell’s and had a barbeque with Jared and Josh’s family and Todd’s wife and kids were all there with their spouses/fiancées. It was fun to see them.



We continued having lots of fun time with Austin’s kids. Kory is great about playing with them and was happy to take a breather while he read to them.


On the 11th and 12th I participated in a virtual young adult literature conference. Originally, I was supposed to go with some colleagues to Las Vegas, but the conference was cancelled due to Covid. It was surprisingly engaging to meet online, and I heard from some great authors—Steve Sheinkin, etc.
On June 11 the girls were all gone, so Kory, Austin, Caleb and I went to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls. I’m still not too great, but I like being outside on a nice night.




On June 13 we had a bike ride with Austin, Leah, and the girls with their bike trailer. The girls were elbowing each other, just like siblings do! We had everyone over that night just to hang out and everyone had a good time.



Our Come Follow Me lessons have been pretty entertaining with Kory using a lot of his seminary ideas. In this one the girls practiced tying a tie and the boys had to put their hair in a ponytail---it was part of missionary prep 😊.



On June 15, we had everyone over for sandwiches and cake and ice cream for Lakyn’s birthday. Everyone loves playing with the kids and with the dogs when Madi and McKenzie bring them along. (I’m not really a dog person, but even I think they are cute.)





On June 19 I met up with my high school buddy Jenie Skoy Poelzig and we had fun chatting and reminiscing with my dad and mom. 


That night Kory and I were trying to ride our bikes around the greenbelt, but it was more crowded than we are used to—we usually go around 7:00 a.m.. Kory was trying to pass this skateboarder, and the skater veered out towards Kory and Kory hit the edge of a curb really hard and basically flipped over his handlebars. I was super surprised! Kory was embarrassed and a little bugged and just jumped on his bike, muttering under his breath at the skaters and then took off, weaving in and out of people and I was trying to catch up to him. It was kind of awful at the time, but we’ve been laughing about it so hard ever since.
On June 20, we went to Sugar City for a birthday party for my dad. We went a little early and went on a bike route I used to bike on summer mornings. It starts in Sugar City, follows the bike path into Rexburg, hangs a left behind the old CAL Ranch and then circles back to Sugar City via the Sugar City cemetery. It was cloudy but we didn’t get rained on. The fields are always so pretty and green this time of year. We had fun with my parents and siblings and their kids. Dad is 76. We pitched in on a massage gun, but it made him ticklish, so I don’t know if that was a hit or not.


On Father’s Day, June 21, we started by joining Leah’s family for a Father’s Day breakfast, which was delicious. The kids came over from Lynette’s and we had sacrament meeting with half of the ward again. Kory was asked to speak at both sessions. After church, we had dinner and Joe and Lakyn and the kids joined us. Later, McKenzie and Madison came over, so we kind of had everyone visit in shifts. A bunch of the kids went in on a nice grill/smoker for Kory, which Chloe insisted on putting together. She is very good about assembling things.


On the 23rd,  we finally got Caleb’s Driver’s Permit, so we may finally get his license before he graduates from high school 😊 On the 24th, Kory took the kids up to Victor to take his dad to dinner and play around on four-wheelers, have smores, and shoot guns. 






On the 25th, Chloe did some painting for me.






On the 26th,  we went on a bike ride with Caleb and Chloe. We again had a little run-in. Chloe was goofing around, so Kory was looking back at her, and Caleb thought we were stopping, so he stopped and Kory basically almost ran right into him. Luckily he slammed on his brakes really hard and prevented an accident, but he pushed the brakes so hard, they locked into place and the wheel wouldn’t turn. So, I rode back with the kids and then took the car back with the bike rack to pick up Kory. Meanwhile, Caleb was feeling bad so he went and hid by a fence near the entrance to the neighborhood,  so we were driving around looking for him. Lots of bike drama this week! My heavens. It’s surprising we haven’t had more problems before, because Kory and I ride our bikes daily during the summer. I guess it finally caught up with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Face

Chloe had her tenth birthday and she asked for the game Pie Face. Yep, you've seen it. The one where everyone takes turns getting whipped cream in the face. Here are some precious moments. Chloe also got a little fort-making kit for her birthday, so we've had these structures in the family room for a few weeks now.

April 2023

  April 2023 On April 1 and 2 we chilled and watched General Conference. On the first, we got a new cat to replace Todd. This cat’s name is Taco, she is a girl, and she’s a tortoiseshell calico. She and Binx have taken quite a while to warm up to each other, but I think we’ll get there. She is cuddly like Todd, so we all like that.  On April 4 I watched Season 3 of The Mandalorian with my dad. On the 5 th , Kory and I took Austin and Leah to the Bee’s Knees for a birthday dinner. They have really great food there and it was fun to visit.  On April 6, we had BYUI Graduation. It was fun to be there, since I’ve missed the past year due to my cancer. On the 7 th , Kory, me, and Caleb babysat for Austin and Leah. It was fun putting the kids to bed and singing with them. Stevie loves the song “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” so we sang that a bunch. On April 8, Kory and I went on a little date. We drove up to Driggs and had dinner at O’ Rourkes and then stopped and visited with my parents on t

Kory's Story

I just wanted to record this for our family history. When Kory and I were engaged, we went to Salt Lake to talk with someone at CES to see about re-applying to teach seminary. At the time, they indicated that he could re-apply, but they didn't seem positive about the likelihood of him getting re-hired. At that time, we decided not to pursue teaching again. Later that year, CES announced that there was no longer any block on people who had been divorced teaching seminary. Again, we talked with some people, but still felt that the chances of him getting hired were not good, because he would not be able to move if necessary, which is usually the case with new hires.  In Fall of 2015, Kory had a strong impression to check with the pre-service director and see what he would need to do to try teaching again. We still knew that the chances were not great, but he felt that he should pursue it. He began attending the class for pre-service seminary teachers, and was assigned to student te