Skip to main content

July 2022

 

July 2022

On July 2, we had a barbeque at Josh and Kasey’s house because Nicole was in town. Chloe, Morgan, and Phoebe went to the fireworks at Rigby Lake with friends that night. Kory and I didn’t want to deal with the crowds, so we went to Jared and Karna’s house to watch them from their front yard—they live right by the lake.

On July 3, we went to Mom and Dad’s to visit, and we tried on little caps to practice for me losing my hair with chemo.



On July 4, we went to the LaBelle flag raising and breakfast at 7:00 am. We dropped Morgan off at the Idaho Falls parade to meet up with friends and then Kory and I headed to Victor. We met up with Kory’s family and watched the Victor parade. After that, we walked around the booths set up in the Victor park. We went back to Kory’s dad’s house and had a barbeque. Kory and I headed home and had a nap, and then we went to Rexburg to watch fireworks at my Aunt Ann’s house—their neighborhood puts on a great show. It was fun to see a bunch of my family and cousins and aunts and uncles.



On July 5, my friend Paula came over for a visit. She moved to Oregon about a year ago.

On July 6, I met with Dr. Shull at Teton Cancer Institute, who will be doing my chemo. He decided to do some different chemicals so I won’t lose my hair. He said twelve doses of chemo and six months of treatment. I stupidly asked what stage of cancer I have and he said a 3 or a 4. I don’t really know much about cancer, but this really shocked me. I think it’s because it has spread throughout the abdomen and stage has to do with how much it has spread. They still don’t know if it originated in the colon or the ovary, so they are kind of treating it like both. If I don’t respond to those chemicals, they will try different ones. I was depressed for a few days after that, just worrying about chemo.

On July 7, I got a CT scan. I had to fast and drink this really thick, yucky drink that was hard not to throw up. The scan itself was quick and easy.

On July 8, I went to the Rexburg temple to watch Paula be sealed to her parents. There were a lot of friends from the English Department there. Joelle and I were the official witnesses and the Papworths were proxies for her parents. It was a cool experience. Afterward, we ate at Applebee’s.



On July 9, Paula, Joelle, and I climbed the R Mountain. It was a short hike and it felt good to do something strenuous. After that Kory and I spent most of the day sorting through the garage, making DI runs. We actually made enough space that Kory can park in the garage.

On July 10, Kory and I spoke in sacrament meeting, and I played the piano for the choir. It was funny, because my first week at church someone asked me to play for the choir, because someone else said, “There’s no way she got out of Marilyn Gee’s house without knowing how to play the piano.” That made me laugh. The ward has been so sweet and awesome. I talked about Grandma Browning and Grandma Shirley in my talk and afterward a bunch of people said they knew the Brownings. That night, Ken and Jody stopped by to visit on their way to Yellowstone. He will be taking a full-time position there as a park ranger in the Fall, which is amazing!

On July 12, Kory and I and Morgan and Chloe had dinner at Austin and Leah’s and had fun playing on their waterslide in the back yard. Kory and I continued organizing and cleaning out he garage. We took lots of trips to DI and the dump, and I even managed to get rid of some books. Chloe used her amazing put-it-together skills to help us put a golf rack together.




On the 13th, I had my port for chemo inserted below my collar bone. I was pretty proud at how calm I was for the this out-patient surgery. They just gave me relaxation drugs and number the area to do the incision. I thought I would be freaked out being awake throughout it, but I was fine.

On July 15, our Idaho Falls house officially went on the market. We were thrilled to have an offer by July 18 and things have been moving forward smoothly with the inspections and etc. We should sign on August 15. It will be sad to say goodbye to the old house, but it will be nice for Kory not to have to be maintaining the lawn over there.

I worked on staining our lawn furniture for a week or so. It was kind of satisfying to get them all done. We love our little piece of land out here. Every morning a mama deer and her two babies come and eat in our yard. It’s fun to watch them.

On July 26, Kory had his 59th birthday. We had everyone over for tacos and pie—Kory is a pie lover, more than a cake lover. After that, we went over to Rigby Lake and the kids played in the water and rode the kayaks. When we were packed up and heading to our cars, we realized that Quinton lost his car keys in the lake. We called a locksmith to come open the car, and then Isaac drove Madi and Quinton home. They had to call another locksmith to let them into their apartment and then a tow truck to tow his car from Rigby Lake to the car dealership to get a new key. It was a bit crazy.




On July 27, we had the Gee Reunion. We started with the kids doing a scavenger hunt, then we had dinner at Kristi’s house. After dinner, we did a Lip Synch Battle, which was awesome! Kory and I did “500 Miles.”  Then we played nine-square and other games until it got dark. David and his family stayed with us in Chloe and Phoebe’s room, while they were gone to Colorado for a concert. On Thursday, Morgan and I joined everyone for bridge-jumping out in Chester. Morgan was pretty brave and jumped in a few times. That night we had dinner again at Kristi’s and then went out to the sand dunes to play around and have a devotional. On the 29th, Kory and I joined everyone for a hike to Cress Creek. That afternoon they played water balloon battle ship, but Kory and I were both hot and tired, so we stayed home and rested! That night we had dinner at Kristi’s and visited.







On the 30th, Kory, me, Morgan, and Caleb went to Lava Hot Springs to meet the rest of the kids who had been camping. We had a great time playing with the grandkids. Morgan and Leah jumped off the higher platforms.




On the 31st, Kory and I sang in church and my mom played for us. That night we did a fireside for the FSY counselors at BYUI. Because Kory is a seminary teacher and has experience with EFY, we were asked to be session directors for an FSY session at BYUI. We had a large session (1200 kids), so there were lots of counselors and staff that ran the show.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Face

Chloe had her tenth birthday and she asked for the game Pie Face. Yep, you've seen it. The one where everyone takes turns getting whipped cream in the face. Here are some precious moments. Chloe also got a little fort-making kit for her birthday, so we've had these structures in the family room for a few weeks now.

April 2023

  April 2023 On April 1 and 2 we chilled and watched General Conference. On the first, we got a new cat to replace Todd. This cat’s name is Taco, she is a girl, and she’s a tortoiseshell calico. She and Binx have taken quite a while to warm up to each other, but I think we’ll get there. She is cuddly like Todd, so we all like that.  On April 4 I watched Season 3 of The Mandalorian with my dad. On the 5 th , Kory and I took Austin and Leah to the Bee’s Knees for a birthday dinner. They have really great food there and it was fun to visit.  On April 6, we had BYUI Graduation. It was fun to be there, since I’ve missed the past year due to my cancer. On the 7 th , Kory, me, and Caleb babysat for Austin and Leah. It was fun putting the kids to bed and singing with them. Stevie loves the song “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” so we sang that a bunch. On April 8, Kory and I went on a little date. We drove up to Driggs and had dinner at O’ Rourkes and then stopped and visited with my parents on t

Kory's Story

I just wanted to record this for our family history. When Kory and I were engaged, we went to Salt Lake to talk with someone at CES to see about re-applying to teach seminary. At the time, they indicated that he could re-apply, but they didn't seem positive about the likelihood of him getting re-hired. At that time, we decided not to pursue teaching again. Later that year, CES announced that there was no longer any block on people who had been divorced teaching seminary. Again, we talked with some people, but still felt that the chances of him getting hired were not good, because he would not be able to move if necessary, which is usually the case with new hires.  In Fall of 2015, Kory had a strong impression to check with the pre-service director and see what he would need to do to try teaching again. We still knew that the chances were not great, but he felt that he should pursue it. He began attending the class for pre-service seminary teachers, and was assigned to student te