Skip to main content

May 2022

 Hold on to your hats, because May was a crazy month at our house.

 On May 1, Kory and I went to the ward we will be attending when we move to LaBelle just for sacrament meeting. We loved the feeling and people there. They seemed like real salt of the earth folks. We came back to our ward after to do our callings.  

On May 3, we took Madi and Quinton to Longhorn Steakhouse to celebrate Madi’s birthday. 



On the 4th, Morgan got braces on, so she ate lots of soft food. 

On Friday, the 6th I went to a Madison track meet to see Ainsley pole vault and to borrow some shoes from her for Chloe to go to Idaho Falls’ prom. On Saturday, the 7th, Chloe spent most of the day on her date. They drove down to Salt Lake City to go to the aquarium, then they cam home, got ready, and went to the Teton House for dinner, and then the dance. She went with her friend Kael from school. 

We also had a combined birthday party for Aiden, Madi, and Leah that night.  Aiden turned two and we had yummy Sandwich Tree food and some cake to celebrate. We also started having the kids sort through all of their stuff from the storage room, so it was kind of fun for them to look through their stuff. 

May 8 was Mother’s Day and I bought my mom a nice dress.

On May 10, in the evening, I started throwing up and it continued throughout the night. I thought it was food poisoning, but Kristi said there was a bad stomach flu going around, so I thought it might be that. I threw up the next night as well, but along with the vomiting was intense pain. Around 1:00 or 2:00 Thursday morning, Kory took me to the ER. They put me on a morphine drip to help with the pain, and then the doctor ordered a CT Scan. He looked very serious when he told me I had a large mass in my abdomen. They referred me to a gynecologist and sent me home. I saw the gynecologist that afternoon and he said they needed to see if the mass had any markers for cancer. If it did, they would need to remove it whole, if not, they could suck the fluid out and do it through laparoscopy. He sent me home, and I threw up again that night. I called and told him, and he told me to go back to the ER for more scans. I think they were worried that the tumor was pushing on my organs and might cause a bowel obstruction. One of the ER doctors said, “I think it’s reached critical mass.” There wasn’t anywhere else for the tumor to go, so it was starting to cause problems. They decided I needed to go down to Salt Lake for surgery, so I waited in the ER until they had a bed available at the University of Utah and then they sent me down in an ambulance. This was all very sudden. Kory was with me the whole time. He ran home to pack some things and Chloe stopped by for a minute to give me a hug. Kory followed the ambulance down. They got me into a room and then I met the doctors and they explained the surgery. They decided they did need to take the tumor out whole, so they would do a large incision in my abdomen. I was pretty scared for surgery but didn’t have a lot of time to worry about it.

I was in the hospital in Utah from May 13-21. I ended up having surgery on Sunday, May 15.  After the surgery I was moved to Huntsman and received amazing care from all of the doctors and nurses there. The doctor estimated that the tumor weighed around 40 pounds. (After I got home, I weighed and had lost about 33 pounds, so I think it was a little smaller than that.) They said the recovery was about six weeks and then I would come back for a  follow-up. The big thing that they needed to figure out was whether or not the tumor was cancerous or not. They thought it would fall in a “borderline” category, which is not normal and not cancerous. While in there, they did an appendectomy, a hysterectomy, and an oophorectomy. The surgery went smoothly and took about three and a half hours. I was in the hospital for six more days, recovering. Those were long days! Kory was there most of the time, and I had some visits from family and friends. Halle and Barry came the day before my surgery. Jen Horner came and brought so many great treats and things for Kory to eat while he was there with me. I also had visits from Brenda Hiatt, Wendy Clegg, Annie Rollins, Kris Powell, and my sister Jodi. My other family in Utah wanted to visit, but they were sick and the hospital advised against it.

I had to put this picture in. My room had an amazing view of the Salt Lake Valley. But Kory was really interested in watching all of the Life Flight helicopters--since he was a great view of all the helipads, so he'd run to the window whenever he saw one coming or going. 

Kory had to go back on the 20th to supervise our move—yes, we were moving in the middle of all this! He did a quick overnight trip and came back to pick me up on the 21st in the afternoon. Right before he picked me up, I tasted the first food that tasted good to me in over a week. It was a quesadilla, and it was amazing. I had had such a queasy stomach with all the surgeries, medicines, etc it was very hard to eat. I was on an IV for quite a few days to keep me functioning.

I was so happy to be back in my home and my bed. I did not sleep well at all while in the hospital because of all of the machines and lots of nurses coming in with meds and checking blood and vitals. It was crazy. So, I slept very well that first night back. The only down side was that we were half-way moved, so we didn’t really have a lot of our stuff handy. So it was a strange week trying to heal and finish up our move. We spent our first official night in the new house in Rigby on May 28. In the meanwhile, Caleb graduated from high school on May 25. They had the ceremony at the Sky Vu Drive In. I went, but after sitting there for awhile, I knew I couldn’t make it through the ceremony, so Kory took me home. Caleb plans to attend BYUI for a year and then go on a mission.



On the 27th, we had a birthday party for Stevie at Austin and Leah’s. 

We moved on the 28th. On the 31st, we had all of the kids gather at the house for a final goodbye. Each kid had a chance to share memories and then Kory sang the song “Remember When.” The kids then walked through the house, went out on the roof for a minute, and then everyone left. I made it through a couple of hours of the gathering, but then I wasn’t feeling good and had to leave.


I also heard back from the doctor at Huntsman and they said that the results of the pathology showed that I had low-grade cancer in both ovaries. They also said it looked like the cancer did not originate in the ovaries, which means that I might have cancer somewhere else in my body. So, they told me I needed a colonoscopy and then some chemotherapy. I was super disappointed at this news, and cried for the first time in all of this. I just didn’t want all of this craziness to continue any longer. 

These are the words to a song that I heard while I was in the hospital, and it has pretty much been on repeat throughout these crazy weeks. It has given me a lot of comfort. It's called Healer and it's on the Trust in the Lord collection for youth that the church out.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Face

Chloe had her tenth birthday and she asked for the game Pie Face. Yep, you've seen it. The one where everyone takes turns getting whipped cream in the face. Here are some precious moments. Chloe also got a little fort-making kit for her birthday, so we've had these structures in the family room for a few weeks now.

April 2023

  April 2023 On April 1 and 2 we chilled and watched General Conference. On the first, we got a new cat to replace Todd. This cat’s name is Taco, she is a girl, and she’s a tortoiseshell calico. She and Binx have taken quite a while to warm up to each other, but I think we’ll get there. She is cuddly like Todd, so we all like that.  On April 4 I watched Season 3 of The Mandalorian with my dad. On the 5 th , Kory and I took Austin and Leah to the Bee’s Knees for a birthday dinner. They have really great food there and it was fun to visit.  On April 6, we had BYUI Graduation. It was fun to be there, since I’ve missed the past year due to my cancer. On the 7 th , Kory, me, and Caleb babysat for Austin and Leah. It was fun putting the kids to bed and singing with them. Stevie loves the song “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” so we sang that a bunch. On April 8, Kory and I went on a little date. We drove up to Driggs and had dinner at O’ Rourkes and then stopped and visited with my parents on t

Kory's Story

I just wanted to record this for our family history. When Kory and I were engaged, we went to Salt Lake to talk with someone at CES to see about re-applying to teach seminary. At the time, they indicated that he could re-apply, but they didn't seem positive about the likelihood of him getting re-hired. At that time, we decided not to pursue teaching again. Later that year, CES announced that there was no longer any block on people who had been divorced teaching seminary. Again, we talked with some people, but still felt that the chances of him getting hired were not good, because he would not be able to move if necessary, which is usually the case with new hires.  In Fall of 2015, Kory had a strong impression to check with the pre-service director and see what he would need to do to try teaching again. We still knew that the chances were not great, but he felt that he should pursue it. He began attending the class for pre-service seminary teachers, and was assigned to student te