Skip to main content

Wait, Where did June Go?


June started off with a bang with the Idaho Falls Temple Dedication. Caleb and Phoebe participated in the Youth Cultural Celebration which involved months of rehearsals and several very long, hot days of dress rehearsal. It turned out great. Kory and I watched it streaming on our computer at home. Caleb even got a few seconds on the big screen in the potato dance. 




Kory and I went to the first session of the dedication and then watched Andy while Leah and Austin went with the rest of the kids and their mom to the next one. Kory had a nice nap with Andy.

Kory's parents came back for the summer from St. George and we celebrated LaRell's 80th birthday at Josh and Kasey's house. A lot of the older kids were able to make it and we had a fun celebration. 



We didn't have the kids for a couple of weeks, so I worked like crazy on my dissertation while fighting through a horrible two-week cold, which is represented by this garbage can full of Kleenex. Ugh. Worst. Cold. Ever. 

Phoebe has been getting lots of hours in at the snogo. So, we like to go harass her whenever we can. 


This past week we've had the kids with us, so we did summer chores, watched Ryker, ran kids around here and there, swam at the Aquatic Center, and had a nice day at Rigby Lake.







Kory took Isaac sky-diving and watched Anne of Green Gables with Chloe when he got home. Chloe asked to watch it after we watched the new Netflix series,  Anne with an e,  last week. She said, "Can we watch the real Anne now?" I just have to give a few words about the Netflix adaptation. I love Anne of Green Gables, and it's always fun to see favorite books brought to life in film. I also get that re-tellings and adaptations give you a chance to flesh out sort of flat characters. But I don't feel like we gain a lot by trying to modernize hundred year old characters and make them over in a 2017 image. So--here's some things I liked about the adaptation. The casting was great. The music was nice. The cinematography looked like it was shot a lot on PEI, which was great. I think they captured Anne's imagination pretty well. Gilbert was adorable and they added some depth to his relationship with Anne.

Things that made me go, "huh?" The whole second episode with Anne running around PEI and Nova Scotia and Matthew following her. It honestly seemed bizarre. The third episode with Anne giving a rather warped interpretation of sex and pregnancy. Why? I get that she might have been exposed to lots of things as an orphan, so it's plausible.....but why? I lose track of episodes after this but...do we really need to see Anne get her period? Or Matthew load a gun and consider suicide? Does Gilbert have to become an orphan? And the scene where Anne and Gil are sitting having a drink in a cafe and Gil says, "I don't want to feel trapped in Avonlea" or some weird thing. I mean, is this Anne and Gil or two millenials in a coffee shop talking about their college plans? And then this weird ending with these bizarre boarders coming to Green Gables. What the heck?

If you are going to adapt a book that you love, why don't you have faith in that book's ability to capture audiences in its true form? I feel like a lot of the added plot pieces were totally ridiculous and added nothing. So...part of me doesn't want them to make any more episodes. We shall see. Maybe they'll get it right. After all, as Anne would say, "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Face

Chloe had her tenth birthday and she asked for the game Pie Face. Yep, you've seen it. The one where everyone takes turns getting whipped cream in the face. Here are some precious moments. Chloe also got a little fort-making kit for her birthday, so we've had these structures in the family room for a few weeks now.

April 2023

  April 2023 On April 1 and 2 we chilled and watched General Conference. On the first, we got a new cat to replace Todd. This cat’s name is Taco, she is a girl, and she’s a tortoiseshell calico. She and Binx have taken quite a while to warm up to each other, but I think we’ll get there. She is cuddly like Todd, so we all like that.  On April 4 I watched Season 3 of The Mandalorian with my dad. On the 5 th , Kory and I took Austin and Leah to the Bee’s Knees for a birthday dinner. They have really great food there and it was fun to visit.  On April 6, we had BYUI Graduation. It was fun to be there, since I’ve missed the past year due to my cancer. On the 7 th , Kory, me, and Caleb babysat for Austin and Leah. It was fun putting the kids to bed and singing with them. Stevie loves the song “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” so we sang that a bunch. On April 8, Kory and I went on a little date. We drove up to Driggs and had dinner at O’ Rourkes and then stopped and visited with my parents on t

March 2023

 On March 4 I played at the stake baptism, then went and got a massage. It helped somewhat with the neuropathy in my hands. That’s the main side effect of the chemo that I’m dealing with. I’m taking medication for it as well, but I still have pretty much constant tingling in my hands and feet. On March 12, my mom made a birthday cake for me and we had a little pre-birthday celebration for my 52 nd birthday. She made lemon sour cream pound cake—my favorite. On the 13 th , Phoebe woke me up with a call from Kory. He had forgotten his laptop to teach early morning seminary, so I jumped in the car and drove it to him. He had his whole class come outside to the car and sing happy birthday to me. That was just the first of all of his classes. He facetimed me throughout the day, having each of his classes sing to me. Some of the calls were during my classes, so my students and his got to face time! It was pretty funny. To make the day a little more fun, I brought doughnuts to both of my cl